maanantai 21. kesäkuuta 2010

Entropy

A normal day at the studio. Doing the daily 110 x 110 x 6 cm lines of question marks. It's back breaking and tedious work. After that I did some testing with ink fingering. A friend of mine dropt over and we viewed some of my work that I'll show in an upcoming solo exhibition at Helsinki City Art Museums Kluuvi Gallery in november.

We discussed alot about the entropy in my works and about some symbols that I've lately added to the list of repeatable things/shapes. I might try dice throwing to guide me in my compositions. It increases the natural entropy that I like. I've got second thoughts about advancing to more specific concepts...it would better serve the core of my ideology not to play with too much concepts. The fingerprint has meanings but they seem vague enough in their semiotics. A question mark is more specific. Well, thats why I chose it.

A colleague of mine (www.jaakkomattila.fi) compared my work with Lee U-Fan's work. Very similar and interesting. I instantly became a fan. I've seen a work of his in an art book about six years ago. I had since forgotten all about it.

Normipäivä työhuoneella. 6 cm kysymysmerkkejä muutamaan tuntiin, sen jälkeen testailuja. Työ on hyvin hidasta ja uuvuttavaa. Kaveri piipahti ja katselimme joitakin maalauksia joita ajattelin laittaa marraskuussa Kluuvin galleriassa olevaan näyttelyyni. Keskustelimme lähinnä sommittelun entropiasta ja symbolien merkityksistä. Saatan kokeilla nopanheittoa sommittelun ohjaajana, mikä lisäisi sattumaa. Sormenjäljet vaikuttavat riittävän hämäriltä merkityksissään, eivätkä tuo mukaan liikaa käsitteillä kikkailua, joka voi hyvin heikentää maalausideologiani henkeä. Kysymysmerkki on merkityksiltäään ladatumpi. Mutta siksipä sen valitsinkin.

Eräs kollegani (www.jaakkomattila.fi) vertasi teoksiani Lee U-Fanin teoksiin. Ne ovat hyvin samanhenkisiä. Aloin heti fanittamaan. Olin niitä aikaisemminkin jossain taidekirjassa nähnyt, mutta olin sittemmin ne tyystin unohtanut.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti