maanantai 15. marraskuuta 2010

After the vernissage

Ohhh...still tired. There was a nice crowd at the vernissage, but what kind of last minute marathon the installation was! On wednesday I woke up at 4.40 a.m, went to pick up my rental van, drove to my studio, picked up some paintings, then drove to my framer and after picking up those works I headed towards Helsinki at ca. 7.30 a.m with my girlfriend. After some driving (trying to take an alternative route in the center of Helsinki and backing the van on a traffic sign. No marks on the car! Phew!!) I parked the van on the pedestrian way in front of the gallery at ca. 9.30 a.m (no parking or stopping allowed). We took the paintings to the gallery and towards Tampere we headed again to return the van. When I parked the van in the rental place I packed the car on a fence again. No marks on the bumper! No one knows this but us...shush! I left from Tampere to Helsinki on 15.07 p.m train and was at the gallery again at 5.45 p.m. In the train I noticed that the framer had forgotten to frame one of the bigger paintings. I Called the guy and he promised to deliver the painting the next day before 2 p.m. (he did, lucky for him). Got to installing the exhibition alone and after some grueling work I left to sleep after 9.30 p.m. On thursday I woke up at 8.00 and was at the gallery at 9 a.m, triggered the silent alarm (no cops rushed in, the gallerist just called) and continued installing until 4 p.m, when I went to have a shower and buy some things for the catering of the vernissage. That day I ate a breakfast composed of two cups of tea and four pieces of rye bread until at 6.30 p.m when I had a small pizza. I arrived 15 minutes late to my own exhibition.

I had my girlfriend, a curator (amanuenssi) and a museum assistant from the Helsinki Art Museum to help me with the vernissage and installation on thursday after noon. I installed the paintins mostly alone on thick concrete walls. Video artists think it's easy to install an exhibition of paintings but if you have to drill holes to stone wall's and hang the paintings alone, they are mistaken. At some point we noticed that the gallery had ran out of wall paint and filler and it took some time to get a new supply. The spotlights of the gallery were pritty useles too, but my paintings seemed to work in those lighting conditions anyways. Momentarily the installation seemed to be doomed but we pulled out. Thank you everyone! After my vernissage we went to another vernissage close by and continued to Corona bar for some drinks. Me and my girlfriend left after midnight. On friday I woke up at 5.50 a.m and took the 6.30 train to Tampere to go to work at Tampere Art Museum. I was bit dizzy during that day. All in all...Phew!

Sanotaan Suomeksi että oli vähän rankka ripustus. Väsyttää vieläkin.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti